- The goal of the law library is to make the law collection available to all patrons. Compliance with the rules is appreciated.
- Library users must comply with any reasonable request/instruction issued by library staff. Anyone violating the rules, or failing to obey instructions, may be excluded from the library and/or incur a fine.
- The Librarian reserves the right to suspend the membership of anyone found misbehaving, abusing the library staff or behaving in an indecent manner. In the case of students, further disciplinary action may be initiated under the University’s Student Disciplinary Procedure.
Guidelines for all Library Users:
- Help us maintain a library environment conducive to learning by maintaining discipline, observing silence, and leaving study areas clean and tidy.
- Seats in the library cannot be reserved. Users are requested not to displace the seating arrangement.
- Use of mobile phones and other devices likely to cause disturbance is discouraged and should be kept on silent mode.
- Users are prohibited from bringing their personal belongings inside the library premises except notebooks and laptops.
- Eatables/beverages/cigarettes/matchbox or other items that may accidentally damage library materials are not allowed in the library.
- Drinking water facility is provided at the library entrance, and restrooms are located at the far end on each floor.
- Users are requested not to carry any valuables in the library. The library staff is not responsible for the loss of items in the library.
- Users are requested to switch off fans and lights when not required.
- Damage of library materials, equipment, property, or building is prohibited and must be reported immediately to the library staff. Those responsible will be subjected to penalty.
- Stealing or attempting to steal a library document/property is an offense. Appropriate disciplinary action will be taken against the offender.
- All persons leaving the library must show their documents to the security staff.
- Reference books, bound volumes of periodicals and journals will not be issued. Members can consult these materials only inside the library.
- Users should take permission from the library staff to use the Reference section. Users are not allowed to bring books out of the Reference section. The user may take a reference book/s for photocopying or moot purposes, by entering book and user details in the register at the Reference counter.
- Newspapers and magazines will not be issued and can only be consulted for reading within the library premises.
- Users are requested not to reshelve the books / journal / reports, and to leave them on the reading table after consultation.
- Tearing off, marking with pencil or pen, highlighting or dog-earing of books/ journals/ reports, and hiding books and other materials is a serious offence. Any defaulter will be subject to penalty.
- All members are allowed to make use of desktops kept in the library.
- Computers are provided for the purpose of research and other educational endeavors. Misuse of the facilities e.g. playing games, e-trading, hacking, watching movies, music, change of PC or network settings is prohibited.
- If faults occur while using library equipment, users are requested not to attempt their own repairs and to inform the library staff immediately.
- The library reserves the right to request users to stop using computer equipment if the library staff has reasonable grounds to believe that they are misusing it.
- Members are responsible for the Library Card issued to them.
- Loss of Library Card should be reported to the Circulation section and Library membership in-charge immediately.
- Duplicate Library Card will be issued on payment of Rs. 25/-
- Members shall be responsible for any loss which may be incurred through misuse of their card.
*All complaints may be brought to the notice of the librarian at the earliest.
- All students, faculty members and administrative staff of National Law School of India University are entitled to become members of the library.
- Each student member of the library will get a Reader’s Ticket and can borrow book/s against the Ticket.
- If the Readers Ticket is lost, members should immediately report it to the Librarian; Request for a duplicate Reader’s Ticket can be made with a payment of Rs. 25.
- If a borrower loses the book, he/she shall replace the book within a week’s time. Failure to replace the book may require him/her to pay the cost of the latest edition of the book, and any other fine imposed by the library committee.
- If a book is damaged, the borrower is responsible for checking the condition of the book at the time of borrowing, and report it to the Librarian to avoid fines.
- Registered library members can borrow a certain number of books/materials for specific periods as indicated below.
- If the same book is required beyond the specified duration, the borrower can renew it, provided there is no demand from other members.
|Members||No. of books||No. of days|
|Administrative Staff & Others||2||7|
- Failing to return the book within the due date will entail a fine of Rs. 5 per day. Please note, the amount of fine will be calculated from the date of default.
- One week before the commencement of the exams (end-term, mid-term and repeat) and during the exam days, a fine of Rs.10 per day will be imposed if the user fails to return the book/s.
- In the event of any student paying fines more than 3 times during a trimester, the Librarian has the right to deny lending any book during that trimester to such students.
- All overdue fines (if any) should be settled before taking ‘NO DUES’ certificate from the library, failing which the student will not be allowed to write the exam/s, or exam/s results will be withheld.
Note: All financial transactions are only through the payment gateway. The library will not accept cash.
- Borrowed library materials not returned after the due date will attract fines.
- Borrowing rights may be withdrawn from those who persistently keep library materials overdue.
- The book reservation file will be maintained in the issue counter. Members can make reservation for those books which are in demand.
- The library staff will share the name of the student who has borrowed the book so that members can request him/her to return it.
- Students must show their distance education student membership card while entering the library.
- Distance education students are not allowed to borrow books from the library.
- Students are prohibited from bringing their personal belongings inside the library premises except notebooks and laptops.
- Distance education students must possess their Identity card while making use of the library facilities and produce the same as and when asked by the staff.
Note: General Guidelines are applicable to all library users. Additionally, these guidelines are specific to DED students.
- External library members (Institutional / Individual / Corporate members) are requested to bring their NLSIU Library Membership Card (LMC). A penalty of Rs. 50/- will be charged for those who fail to produce the LMC while using the library.
- Institutional / Individual / Corporate members should get their membership renewed on time each year.
- Books and other materials will not be issued to the members; they can only refer or photocopy materials in the library.
- Members can use desktops kept in the library.
- All members (Individual, Institutional & Corporate members) are allowed to bring their laptop and tablet. Users are requested to contact NLSIU IT support for internet connection.
- Members are allowed to make use of the above facilities from 9.30 am to 5.30 pm only (Monday to Saturday), and from 10 am to 4 pm on Sunday.
Note: General Guidelines are applicable to all library users. Additionally, these guidelines are specific to external/outside members.